Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rain Man

Tatum with ("Rain Man") Kim and (his father) Fran Peeks
The original "Rain Man" was on my flight today and he was simply amazing!! He was with his dad and his Oscar!! I even got to hold it...talk about HEAVY! I haven't seen the movie inspired by him but I want to now. Get a load of this...I told him my birthday was May 12, 1985 and he told me it was Mother's Day, a Sunday, So and so (some famous person in England) got married that day but it only lasted a month, and lots of other stuff that happened that day that I couldn't even follow his train of thought cause he was rattling things off so incredibly fast. He told me my b-day is on a Tuesday this year and it will be on a Thursday when I am 65! He didn't even have to hesitate to figure it either! Then I told him I lived in PG and he rattled off some PG history that I was not familiar with. He told me that phone #'s start with 785 in this town and that Main Street turns into Carterville Road which turns into Columbia Street which turns into Center Street. He knows more about that town than I do. I was working with my friend Natalie and she is from North Carolina and she told him her area code and he said, "oh that's New Hanover County." He knew just as much about her town and birthday as mine. His mind is incredible!! He has an Eidetic memory and is such a sweet guy. He loved hugging us and just holding on for a long time and telling us what "beautiful ladies" we were. He was hugging me the whole time all the other passengers were deplaning the aircraft so it was a little funny cause they could barely squeeze by us, but he wouldn't let go! We had such a good time chatting with him and his dad that we took some (very low quality) pics on our cell phones with them as they were getting off the plane. They were so cute! His dad was so proud of him and they were such a pleasure to meet.

Barry Morrow has given Kim his Oscar statuette to carry with him and show at these appearances. They call it the "Most Loved Oscar Statue" since it's been held by more people than any other Oscar statue. Kim also enjoys approaching strangers and showing them his talent for calendar calculations by telling them on which day of the week they were born and what news items were on the front page of major newspapers. Peek has also appeared on television. He travels with his father, who takes care of him and performs many motor tasks that Peek finds difficult.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

That is crazy! Your story makes me want to watch the movie too.

Penny and Aaron Owens said...

Get out! That would be such a cool part of the job to be able to meet people from all walks of life. How neat Tay:)

Mrs.Mayne said...

How fun. I bet that was an exciting flight.

JRC said...

You should see the movie, Dustin Hoffman does a really good job I think! That is so neat you got to meet him!

Jennie

vandi said...

how cool! Can you even imagine having that kind of brain capacity. I can't even remember my own zip code sometimes: )

Adam and Dev said...

My husband and I watched some kind of documentary on him awhile ago. He is AMAZING huh! It's unbelievable how one man can know so much :)