Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We're turning over a new LEAF!!


An ORGANIC one!
So lately, I have been doing some research. I have read some books, studied websites, talked to the experts and been inspired by somebody special. It has changed my life! We have started living a (Semi) VEGAN lifestyle. Before that word SCARES you off...hear me out. I always thought vegetarians and vegans were lOcO in the cAbEsA too till I did the research for myself. And I say "semi" cause we are easing into it...Matt freaked at first when I started on this subject and my dad about gagged as he said, "YUCK" when I briefly mentioned it to him! Matt told me how he can't live without a Texas Roadhouse steak every once in a while and I don't know if I can give up fresh crab meat or a little Cold Stone ice cream every once in a while so I am sure we will go outside the guidelines at times but for the most part we are going without animal products in our daily diet. That's right. No meat or dairy folks!!! Not to worry though because I have discovered a whole new section of the grocery store. And guess what?! There is such a thing as fake meat and fake dairy (soy, rice, tofu and other delicious&good organic products as an alternate) so we won't feel to deprived. There are great substitutes out there for everything! We have been devouring some delicious "Soy Dream" ice cream sandwiches the past week.
Today I did my grocery shopping at Sunflower Farmers Market "serious food...silly prices" (in Orem across the street from the University Mall) and I was loving life. I got such great food for great deals. Today was the GRAND OPENING so they even threw in a free bag that I can take with me each time I shop there to redeem 10 cents of all my future purchases and save the earth by not using plastic bags.
We've also cut out soda, we eat more whole grains and less sugar and as much organic products as possible. I think this will be our solution to our body problems...like, ya know...lumpy butts, flabby arms, soft tummies, love handles and thunder thighs. This new way of eating along with a bit of exercise will do the trick (i hope). Matt and I have both struggled with our bodies since we got married. Basically cause we ate way too much processed crap, fast food and soda. That is over. We have turned over a new leaf!!
I am not trying to brag or boast or even convince anyone to listen to me and eat like this too, I just wanted to post this to even further commit ourselves to staying strong with this lifestyle diet. Like I said, we won't be diehards but we will live by it as much as possible. I am pretty excited.

If you are wondering what I read...
The website that I found beneficial is: www.GoVeg.com
It has great facts about the lifestyle and great recipes too.
The book I read is: (warning:contains colorful language...obviously)
This book is straight forward and blunt about meat, dairy and other ingredients and it's affect or effect ( I never know which one is right) on our bodies...It will gross you out! It also has great tips for vegan brands and ingredients to avoid in your foods. If you can handle some language, it's a good read.
For mormons, even the W of W says: EAT MEAT SPARINGLY. D&C 89
The person who inspired me will remain anonymous.
There is plenty of info out there, but it's a personal decision and it's really not as bad or as hard as you might think. We've made ours! What do you think?

7 comments:

Hailey said...

I think that is awesome that you guys are doing that, we eat a lot of Organic and try to avoid processed foods like high fructose corn syrup and food dyes, I don't think we could ever do vegan but I admire people who can. I love that book, lots of good info and you will feel much better I am sure.
If you ant to look into getting some more reuseable bags, this are my favorite http://www.reusablebags.com/store/chicobag-colorful-compact-reusable-shopping-p-450.html They fold up in little pouches, so you can always keep them in your purse and use them in all the stores. If you want any other suggestions I might be able to help, I am totally into trying to help save the environment (heck I even cloth diapered Skye LOL) Anyways Good Luck and let me know how it goes :)

Hailey said...

Sorry you are going to have to copy and paste that link I don't know how to get it to actually work as a link in a comment.

Adam and Dev said...

Hey Tatum! I have heard of this book but never read it! I probably don't want to since I know I eat way too much sugar and candy...good to know though. And I will send you an invite k :)

Karli Barney said...

Hey Tatum! I have heard of this book too! Ha maybe I should try it, this one month of marriage is not good for my weight! haha! But how are guys doing? I love your pictures and everything on your blog.. Ah I'm still trying to figure everything out with this thing! If you have any pointers let me know!

Mrs.Mayne said...

Way to go!! I feed Bennett as much organic as possible. I have not taken the plunge for Jon and myself yet but it is hopefully in the future. Do you still work at the Hotel? Willy you email me your #? I would love to talk to you about it. I live close to it and would like a job. markeymayne@hotmail
Thanks!!

Scott Barclay said...

I'm trying not to drip my hamburger juice on the key board as I am typing a comment. Hold on a second, I have to take a drink of milk and eat this boiled egg. Ok, well I think that is a great idea.
Scott

AMANDA said...

You go girl. I've been doing this for 2 months now and I feel GREAT. Vegan is the way to go. I don't miss animal product at all. I feel healthier, happier, and have more energy. You should look in to alkalizing your body, too. It's another added benefit to veganism, but there are other things you can do to help that process along. There is all sorts of health benefits to making sure your body is alkaline not acidic. I'm proud of you! Good luck.